If you made a bunch of new year resolutions to get fit, lose weight, build muscle, and not stuck to them, you’re not alone. We’re now into February (where did January go?), and most people are so busy with their day to day lives that their new years resolutions are a distant memory.
Here’s how you can get back on track:
1. Grab a piece of A4 paper. Do it now! This will only take a couple of minutes.
2. Write ‘My 2012 Fitness Goal’ at the top and underline it.
3. Now write down your goal, and make it specific. Don’t just write ‘lose weight’, write ‘lose a stone in weight’, or ‘get fit enough to run 5km without stopping to throw up’, or ‘gain half a stone in lean muscular weight’. Whatever your top goal is, write it down.
4. Now set a deadline, an actual date. So for instance if you want to lose a stone, aim to lose 2 lbs a week if you’re very overweight, and aim for 1 lb a week if you just need to lose a bit. Then calculate how long it will take to lose the weight you want to lose. And write this goal date on the sheet of paper, AND in your diary. Write “by Saturday 23rd June 2012” or whatever is the target date.
5. Still with me? Ok, now write a sub-heading “Reasons I want to (fill in your goal here)”, underline it, and list 6 reasons. If it’s weight loss you’re after, the reasons might be to fit into clothes, to feel sexier, to reduce chances of illness or disease, to feel more confident etc etc. The more reasons you can come up with, the more motivated you’ll become.
6. Now write another sub-heading: “Action Plan” and underline it. Write down 6 things you can start putting into action right now, such as join a gym, run 20 minutes every other day, cut out junk food and replace with more fruit and veg. Check out this site for tips on what you can start doing.
Keep this piece of paper with you, add to it, refine it, and every few days write it out afresh. This is your constantly evolving goal sheet, and it will serve as your guide in the days and weeks ahead.
Let me know how you get on, in the comments section below…..